Sunday, March 13, 2011

Joey Ramone, MD

It dawned on me today that Joey Ramone would have made an awesome med student or at least a good friend of a med student. I was reading about how thiourea drugs have the potential to cause cretinism in a fetus because it crosses the placenta. And from the recesses of my brain I could hear the echoes of one of my favorite Ramones songs, "Cretin Hop". Thanks to one of America's national punk treasures, I'm going to remember this little tidbit throughout my career along with other facts related to cretinism because I just add verses to the song like: "thiourea treatin' makes a baby cretin"

This isn't the first time that Joey Ramone helped my sanity while studying for medical school. During my first year I coincidentally read that he may have suffered from Marfans Syndrome and I'd just think of Joey on stage to remember the physical signs of Marfans: tall stature, long arms, long fingers, etc.

Thanks to Joey, I can also remember benzodiazepine drug names (most end in "am" or "pam") thanks to the chorus of "I Wanna Be Sedated": Am Am A-am, I wanna be sedated

Thank you, Joey Ramone, for being one bad-ass medical school punk rocker

No comments:

Post a Comment