If you've known me for a while, you know I rarely feel well. For years I've gone to doctors who tell me they don't know what's wrong with me. So I stopped going because it made me feel like I might be a hypochondriac even though these symptoms were causing problems in my life. Most of the time they say it's anxiety/depression which is something that's hard to rule out clinically. I've already written ad nauseum about my adventures with IBS and how that's also a diagnosis that difficult to rule out. It makes me feel disillusioned about the medical field. I worry that my doctors think I'm crazy.
I've decided to drop gluten from my diet. I know I don't have Celiac Disease but I suspect that I may have been suffering from gluten intolerance (non-celiac gluten sensitivity) all these years. It makes an awful lot of sense when I consider the symptoms I've tolerated for years are consistent with this diagnosis. Also, I've cut out many foods through those years that I noticed made me feel unwell without realizing the connection between my health and the gluten levels. I'm going to try excluding gluten for a few weeks and see how it goes. It's going to be hard because I do have a deep, undying love for baked goods. I know there are alternative non-gluten free baked goods out there, but they're harder to find in this town. Let us have a moment of silence to reflect on all the good times I've had with baked good deliciousness.
I'm living with Barb (yeah the one from LSMSA) right now and she's gluten-free. I bake bread so I've been meaning to look up some gluten-free baking recipes to try out but haven't really gotten around to it yet. I'll definitely let you know if I find any that work really well.
ReplyDelete