Saturday, October 23, 2010

Legends

I'm watching some countdown on Vh1 about the greatest artists/bands of all time and it's strange how the masters of one medium inspire me to become the master of a different medium. As a kid I wanted to be a rock star. So. Badly. I'm not gonna lie--- I still want to be a rock star. But I'm old enough to know that it's not going to happen because a) i don't have time to be a rock star and b) that's not where my talent lies. So, I'm watching this show with these musical geniuses: the Who, Nirvana, U2, Queen, Bowie, etc. and I am always so moved by how these people had what it took to inspire and move entire generations. They were able to do something they loved and use it for good. It, in some strange way, inspires me to some how want to turn that energy into medical innovation. I have no idea how-- but the motivation's there.

How does one become a rock star in the medical arts? I have a few criteria that I feel can qualify one as a medical rock star:
- you do it because you love it
- you work on it ad nauseum until you get it right. because you're not gonna put out crap. you're gonna put out art. good art.
- you don't think of yourself as a medical rock star
- if you do happen to realize that you have influence you both deny it, but also use your influence for good.
- nothing you do is ever good enough. you always think you can do even better work
- you never forget that your fans are the ones that got you this far (fans = patients). you do it for your fans.
- you break the mold and you do it differently, better.
- you never quit improving your craft-- and you never quit learning from others. never quit learning.

so, even though i may not ever be a rock star proper, what's stopping me from aspiring to be a rock star in my own profession? what's stopping anyone from being a rock star in anything that they do? i don't want fame, i don't want money--- but i do want to make a difference. i just hope that the difference i make is one of good and is beneficial to everyone, not just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment