Tuesday, October 26, 2010

From the bottom of my heart

Today we were learning about cardiac physical exam skills using a standardized patient (basically, a person who gets paid to let us practice physical exam skills on them). To find the point of maximal impulse on a patient, you must take your hand and sort of cup the left breast to feel the PMI near the anatomical position of the apex of the heart.

Mind you, we had been practicing these exam skills on ourselves throughout the entire session: radial pulse, brachial pulse, popliteal pulse, etc. So when it came time to do the PMI I began moving my hand towards the area of the apex of my heart.... and then realized that it would be highly inappropriate do find my own PMI in front of the cardio fellow, the standardized patient and my colleagues. i decided to wait to find my PMI in the privacy of my own home.

In other news, I practiced listening to heart sounds on myself and am proud to say that I am free of gallops and murmurs. Let's hope my ear for heart sounds is accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment