Year three began a few weeks ago and I apologize for my absence as I had been awaiting a time where I wasn't completely exhausted to update the blog. The problem is that there is never a time when I am not completely exhausted. They work us to the bone in clinics and on the wards, but I can't say we're bored.
I've since delivered 4 babies via spontaneous vaginal delivery and helped delivery one via C-section. Talk about gross. I have this thing about giving birth: i think it's truly disgusting and I never want to have to deal with that. I still think it's disgusting and I still, personally, don't want to deal with it, but delivering babies isn't so bad once you get past the ick factor. Our hospital just renovated their delivery rooms and they look like hotel rooms. The first baby I delivered came into the world while an episode of Two and a Half Men played on the new flat screen television. I sure hope that kid has a shot at life after his first introduction to life was that terrible show. Poor kid.
All of these deliveries took place during my first night of being on call. Everyone prior to my call night told me that they didn't do much and if they did, it was just observing a birth. Talk about freaking me out when my resident was like, "gown up! deliver this baby!" and I panicked on the inside, thinking: I haven't even read the chapter on child birth in the text book yet! Yep. Stayed up all night delivering babies and then, 10 minutes before my shift was up, scrubbed in for an emergency c-section. I ended up staying 2 hours post-call (I had been awake for about 28 hours, working 26 of those hours straight).
Other than that, a lady high-fived me when I told her that she was HIV-free. That was pretty cool. I'm glad patients feel comfortable enough around me to high five me. More stories to come as my life is now too interesting for me too keep up on the blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment