Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Little Tumor That Stank

I've been scrubbing in on surgeries with Gynecologic Oncologists this week and I can't say I've been bored. My final surgery of the week was the most interesting. When the uterus was removed from the patient's abdomen, the surgeon almost threw up. This poor patient had a tumor that was necrosing inside her body and apparently the smell was so strong and powerful (I was breathing through my mouth to avoid the smell and not throw up) that the surgeon told the scrub nurse to get the tumor away from the operating table as quickly as possible. This patient must feel so much better now that she's had this unfortunate tumor removed. I can't imagine what it must be like to have your body create something so foul and having to live with it for as long as she did. The nurses reported that they could smell the tumor before the woman was even pre-opped for surgery. What an amazing thing. I hope this patient makes a full recovery and feels better than ever-- I have a feeling that we left her in better shape than when she came to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment