As you probably have gathered lately, I have very little interest in acquiring a boyfriend. It's an interesting pattern I follow: I get a tiny crush on a guy, introduce myself and two weeks later I am so uninterested in seeing this guy as anything but a friend. How unfortunate (but not for me because I've acquired many awesome friends this way). Z thinks it's just bad timing in my life (as he sometimes feels sorry for me since he's in a state of domestic and marital bliss), but I think I've finally reached a state of happiness that I was never able to acquire with a boyfriend.
Yeah, I know, I've dated crappy guys and that's why I wasn't happy. But perhaps I wasn't happy prior to the boyfriend and lord knows a boyfriend isn't going to magically make you happy. Boyfriends can't fix your life. I'm finally at a state where I am so perfectly content that I don't want to mess up my life with another crappy relationship. That's not to say that my new gentleman friends would be poor boyfriends. There's just no way to know ahead of time. Plus, I'd really hate losing such awesome friends.
If an interested gentleman should cross my path and have a mutual interest in me, here are a few tips:
1. Don't hold doors open for me unless you happened to get to the door first
2. Offer to bring me food if I'm on call.
3. Show interest in skin care and ask for help shopping at Sephora
4. Compliment my clothes (unless I'm in scrubs), but really mean it.
5. Laugh at my anecdotes.
6. Read lots and lots of books.
7. Ask me to go see an indie movie with you or show interest in Wes Anderson films
8. Tell me I have a great taste in music and ask to come listen to my records.
9. Laugh at most of what I say, but genuinely mean it
10. Don't take yourself too seriously. Laugh at yourself and know that your lifestyle is ridiculous.
I think the only way I'd date a guy at this point is if he'd show some initiative and kind of fit himself into my current lifestyle. I'm tired of being the one to make all the compromises.
No comments:
Post a Comment