All I did was wake up this morning and not care that it was Valentine's Day.
I am indifferent about Valentine's day. I don't like it. I don't dislike it. I don't get mopey because I am single. I don't boycott it because that takes too much energy. I just live it like any other day and I'm content with that. But apparently not caring is the only way to have a pretty cool v-day.
You know how you get those blanket text messages that people who you've long since removed from your cell phone send you on holidays? And you never quite know who those people are but you politely respond back with a, "Happy MLK Day to you, too!" or whatever? Well, I woke up this morning and it was one of those, but for Valentine's Day, so I responded with the typical, "and a happy Anna Howard Shaw Day to you!" and went about my day thinking nothing more.
And then, hours later, they text back. Apparently this person doesn't know I wear glasses. Glasses that I've had for two years. So I start thinking, who the hell is this person that hasn't seen me in two years and is texting me out of no whe.... omg. It was a guy. From my past. That I don't hate.
I lost contact with this guy around the time I started seeing Dr. MF. The guy, let's call him Eye Guy, lived in New England and I'd only see him every once in a while. And whatever the hell it was--- (and it was fun)-- it was really confusing and at the time I guess I wanted stability. So, stuff got weird between the two of us and we lost contact. And two years later.... he texts me out of no where.
Mind you, this was the guy whose bathroom I, for no apparent reason, fainted in. Also, shortly after the fainting incident my eye began to swell to sizes that no eye should ever swell up to. And my eye was leaking something green and honestly, I looked so scary that a day later when I went to the doctor he said, "OH MY GOD! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?!" This all happened on this "date" that we were on and he STILL liked me after that. And then texts me after 2 years of not speaking. We picked up right where we left off.
And all I did this morning was wake up and not care that it was Valentine's Day.
I didn't realize it was Valentine's day until dinner, when my single friends and I all went out for sushi. Looked around and there were couples and it hit me. "WAIT, GUYS, IS THIS A THING?" Etc.
ReplyDeleteAnd well, good luck?